Top 10 app trends in 2023
App trends emerge due to changes and developments in technologies and the way people interact with machines of all kinds.
Based on various developments, there are the following app trends for the year 2023. These trends are only predictions and it is always possible that further developments will influence the app landscape.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI & ML)
AI and ML apps are applications that use artificial intelligence and machine learning to perform specific functions or provide personalized experiences to users. These apps are driven by algorithms and models that are trained on data to identify patterns and relationships and make predictions. These include, for example:
- Voice recognition apps
- Personalization apps for online shopping
- Security apps for fraud prevention (e.g., facial recognition)
- Chatbot - artificial intelligence can realize a conversation on natural language
- Smart logistics apps
- AI & ML are also used in healthcare, finance, e-commerce, agriculture or automotive industries to minimize risks
AI and ML apps are used in a wide range of industries. They enable companies to automate processes, increase efficiency and create personalized experiences for users.
Internet of Things (IoT)
IoT apps are able to communicate with and control physical objects equipped with networked devices or sensors. These apps use the Internet and wireless communication to enable seamless interaction between the user and the networked devices. Examples include:
- Controls of networked devices by smartphones, smartwatches or tablets (operation of drones, control of action cameras, control of connected music boxes)
- GPS trackers for pets or valuables
- Operation of smarthome systems
- Industrial automation benefits from, for example, permanent product tracking and reduced labor and operating costs
- IoT apps generate faster implementations of processes in logistics (productions or maintenance)
In the future, it is expected that IoT apps will be used more and more -and new application areas will be opened up as the number of connected devices and sensors will continue to grow.
Apps for Foldable Devices
Foldable devices are a relatively new category of mobile devices that combine the advantages of tablets and smartphones in one device. The apps are adapted to different screen sizes and thus create maximum functionality and relaxed consumption (this includes e.g. streaming, gaming or videos). The user also has the option of using different system applications at the same time.
Since foldable devices are still relatively new on the market, there are not yet many apps that have been developed specifically for these devices. However, it is expected that the number of apps for foldable devices will increase in the future as they become more popular.
Apps for wearables (portable devices)
Wearable apps are applications that are developed specifically for wearable devices. These apps can be used to provide a variety of features and services. Some examples are as follows:
- Monitoring one's fitness (e.g. to count steps, monitor calories burned or improve sleep quality)
- Communication apps (e.g., to send text messages or make phone calls without taking the smartphone out of the pocket)
- Navigation apps (users are shown instructions to find the right path/destination)
- General control center for various possibilities at work or for private purposes (see IoT)
In the future, wearable apps are expected to enable more and more functions and even better integration with other devices such as smartphones and tablets. Wearable apps are also expected to be used in new application areas, such as medical diagnostics or monitoring safety and working conditions in industry.
Applications based on blockchain technologies
Blockchain technology is a decentralized, transparent and secure way of processing data based on cryptographic algorithms. A blockchain is a database consisting of a network of computers connected via the Internet. Each block in the chain contains information about transactions or data processed by participants in the network. It is cryptographically secured to prevent tampering (e.g. cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin or Ethereum). These apps are used, for example, in the financial sector, logistics or healthcare.
One of the most important features of blockchain apps is security, which is ensured by cryptographic encryption of the data. Since the data on the blockchain is immutable, it cannot be manipulated or tampered with. This makes blockchain apps ideal for applications where security and transparency are crucial.
Beacon Technology Apps
Beacon technology is a type of wireless communication that allows information to be exchanged between mobile devices and physical locations. The technology is based on Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and allows smartphones and other devices near beacons to automatically receive information or perform actions. Devices link the online world with the offline world. The following applications, for example, can be realized:
- There is a possibility to reach users in real time (beacons send signals continuously)
- Store owners can use beacons to analyze customer behavior in more detail
- The device makes contact with smartphones via Bluetooth
- Various product information can be easily communicated to the customer
- Can also be used in a variety of industries such as audio guidance systems, navigational support or as a warning signal to prevent errors in production processes
Beacon technology will be used more in the future as it will be able to collect and analyze more and more data about users. This will subsequently lead to personalized and relevant offers for the user.
Fin-tech apps are applications developed by financial technology (fin-tech) companies to help users access financial services. They can offer a variety of functions, such as:
- Money transfers: Users can send or receive money to others quickly and easily
- Payments can be made online or in stores with ease
- Investments: It is possible to invest in stocks, funds or other investment instruments
- Budgeting helps users manage their expenses and create budgets
- Users have quick and easy ways to apply for and obtain loans
- Fin-tech apps allow users to manage their accounts and monitor their finances
Fin-tech apps have become very popular among users due to their ease of use and flexibility. They can be downloaded on various platforms such as iOS or Android.
E-commerce apps are applications that facilitate the online sale of products. They can buy products or services directly from their smartphone or tablet, or follow product catalogs. Other conveniences include shopping cart monitoring, payment options, an overview of orders, or direct contact with customer support. Increasingly, users also receive personalized recommendations or benefit from promotions (based on customer behavior and shopping habits).
E-commerce apps increase convenience and user-friendliness for users.
Augmented Reality Apps
Augmented reality apps are applications that use technology to integrate digital information with the real world. These apps can provide users with an enhanced experience by projecting digital objects or information onto physical objects or locations in the real world.
What examples fall under this topic area?
- Test various products digitally on yourself or in your home before making a purchase. Do the glasses suit me? Does the sofa match the rest of the furnishings?
- AR glasses can quickly and efficiently guide employees in companies so that they can quickly and clearly understand operating functions, for example.
Augmented reality apps have become very popular with users due to their innovative and interactive nature. They offer a new kind of experience that has the potential to change and innovate user behavior. It triggers an increase in the user's buying experience. It helps businesses and developers to showcase their products and services in the best possible way.